English Grammar : Parallel Sentence Structures


Faulty parallelism

Parallel structure in a series












He liked their courage, their stamina, and their style. (parallel)
He liked their courage, stamina, and theirstyle. (not parallel)

She saw a van, car, and bicycle collide. (parallel)
She saw a van, a car, and a bicycle collide. (parallel)
She saw a van, a car, and bicycle collide. (not parallel)



The schools in the rural area are smaller than the schools in the inner city.
NOT The schools in the rural area are smaller than the inner city.



The committee chose to postpone the motion rather than to vote on it.
NOT The committee chose to postpone the motion rather than voting on it.

Parallel structure with correlative conjunctions




Either I like the job or I don't like it. (parallel: clause with clause)
Either I like the job or I don't. (parallel: clause with clause)
Either I like the job or not. (faulty parallelism: clause with adverb)

I have neither the patience nor the time to complete the assignment. (parallel: noun phrase with noun phrase)
I have neither the patience to complete the assignment nor do I have the time complete it. (faulty parallelism: phrase with clause)






OR We expected to be not only late but also exhausted. (better)
BUT NOT We expected not only to be late but also we expected to be exhausted.

Parallel structure with verbs










Post a Comment

0 Comments